Stainless Steel Wire Properties, Types, And Applications Explained
When we talk about Stainless Steel Wire, we must talk about stainless steel first. It is a material that shows corrosion resistance properties. This useful alloy metal was first introduced in the early 18th century. How did they do it? Steel readily reacts with oxygen in the air. But when chromium is added to steel, makes it less reactive with oxygen. A minimum of 10.5% chromium should be added to steel to get stainless steel. Don’t get confused it with carbon steel.
High oxidation resistance, resistance to attacks from acids, resistance to attack from certain bases, and lack electrical conductivity are the top properties of stainless steel. Which means Stainless Steel Wire also comes with all these properties. Stainless steel has been used for decades for the manufacturing of cutlery, cookware, surgical instruments, household hardware, industrial equipment, and automotive/aerospace structural parts.
Stainless Steel Wire: As mentioned, this versatile wire comes with all the unique properties of stainless steel. Due to high corrosion resistance properties, these wires can be used in highly salted aquatic environments too. On the other hand, it can withstand high-temperature and pressure. It can also be used for medical equipment.
Stainless Steel Wire types and applications: Many types of wires are there, and each type can be used for different applications. Below is a list of types and applications.
* Stainless steel lock wire: In aerospace, aeronautics, and automotive industry; a locking-wire is a method used for preventing loosening of nuts and bolts. OK, let me explain it with a picture.
As you can see in the picture, the Stainless Steel Wire is turned around the fastener head to prevent loosening. Vibration causes fasteners to loosen over time. A loose nut can cause a disaster in the aerospace industry. So, vulnerable fasteners are protected by locking-wire.
* For crafts and hardware: Due to corrosion resistance, Stainless Steel Wire can be used for sculptures, musical instruments, jewelry, welding, pins, staples, key rings, and so on.
* For medical applications: Acupuncture needles, ophthalmology, medical furniture, microbiology, and surgery tools. Why can’t we use general steel for medical applications? Well, we can’t use a metal that gets corroded for medical applications. Can you use a rusted cutting tool to cut the appendix? No, right?
* For outside applications such as agricultural, fencing, and landscaping. Thanks to corrosion resistance, Stainless Steel Wire is widely being used for outside fencing applications. Stainless wire mesh is a good example to prove it.
* Do you know what is in this picture? We called it Stainless Steel Wire Rope. Stainless steel cable is another name given for this wire type. The wire rope is made of weaving strands of wire in different forms. Balustrades, foliage, and rigging are the common applications of steel cable.
Some final words: Thanks to the corrosion resistance, Stainless Steel Wire cab be used for a variety of applications. Many types of wires are there for all your needs. Buy it from a reputable manufacturer. Well, this special wire type can be somewhat expensive than ordinary binding wire. Anyway, it can save your time and money in the long run. If you want to know more about stainless steel, then I recommend you the Wikipedia page related to it.